Thursday, April 1, 2010

DRM and You

Wow, another blog by me, but this is something that's been on my mind for a bit, and I'll explain why Security like DRM is horrible.

Now you may be wondering "Oh DRM, isn't that what software companies/music companies use to stop the sharing and illegally distribution of software or music." Yeah, that's it, but its a bad thing when it's taken too far.

Let's say you come home with that new game Dictation & Triumph 4. you install D&T4 and it tells you that you must have an active connection to play the game, thats fine, but wait, you have to be online to play single player. Do you see where I am coming from, if not then I can tell you what that means. Your internet goes down and then there goes all your experience, the ablility to save and the ability to play the game with the said experince, leaving the game you are currently playing will send you to a login screen. Can't even access the main menu. The game requires the exp to get upgrades. Or, let's say it's not on your end, let's use the example that it's server side, same thing happens. All over a little bit of piracy, all they're really doing is hurting the honest man and not really hurting the dishonest man.

Another example that I have, 3 music tracks that I have gotten for free from buying a cd at Wal-Mart (I dislike Wal-Mart, but I won't go into details), I transfer the media over to a hard drive. A while later I tried to play the tracks and it says that I can not, because it is not on the origonal hardware. In fact, you can't play it on most mp3 players unless you have it on the internal memory instead of like an sd card. This keeps the honest man honest and the dishonest man to find ways to get free music. These were offered as free, but I don't think I can refind the redemable code.

In all honesty, DRM hurts the honest people and does nothing to stop pirates, they will find ways around the protection, I don't want to support companies that uses such a tactic like that. It's unfair to the honest people with horrible internet connections due to location or other factors, or who don't even have internet for a period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment